Tuesday 16 July 2013

Red Velvet Cheesecake


RED VELVET CHEESECAKE

So we all know by now that I LOVE to bake. The joy of baking is about the sharing. Sure I enjoy to taste what I've eaten, but mostly my joy comes from other people eating my baking wares and enjoying them. So I am always chuffed when people ask me to bake for them. My friend Steph was having a birthday party and asked if I'd make her a cake. I didn't even need to think about it, of course I would. I asked her what she liked and she rattled off a few things, but the two which stuck were red velvet and cheesecake. Now I found a recipe I had been wanting to try that combined the two - this was my chance to try it.

Now the cake was a smash, it was all gone within minutes of being cut. I'm a little upset with myself that I didn't get better pictures of the cake because it was beautiful (even if I do say so myself). The cake was tasty, and the cheesecake was creamy and a perfect partner. I will definitely be making this one again! It is a little fiddly, and takes some time, but is worth it. So make sure you do what I did, and make it the day before you need it. It can use that extra time in the fridge to keep everything set and just make the icing the morning before the party.


This recipe was originally from Taste, here is the link:

INGREDIENTS:

Cake:
185g butter, softened
155g caster sugar
2 eggs
115g self raising flour, sifted 
40g plain flour, sifted
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon of bicarb soda
1/2 cup of buttermilk
Red food colouring (I used a gel bottle)
Oil, for greasing
White chocolate to top cake with

Cheesecake Filling:
250g cream cheese, room temperature
70g caster sugar
2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons of warm water
1 1/2 tsp gelatine powder
300ml thickened cream

Cream Cheese Frosting
250g cream cheese, at room temperature
60g unsalted butter, softened
80g icing sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1 - Preheat oven to 180°C and spray a round 22cm (base measurement) cake pan with canola spray. Also line the base with non-stick baking paper.

2 - Use an electric beater to beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

3 - Combine the self-raising flour, plain flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl. Stir flour mixture and buttermilk, in alternating batches, into butter mixture. Stir in food colouring.

4 - Spoon mixture into pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. 

5 - Cool slightly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.Cut cake in half horizontally. Trim the top if the middle has risen too much.

6 - To make the filling, use an electric beater to beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth. 

7 - Place the water in a heatproof jug or bowl. Add the gelatine. Place the jug in a saucepan and add boiling water to come halfway up the side of the jug. Stir until the gelatine dissolves. Add to the filling and beat until combined.

8 - Use an electric beater to beat the cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into the cream cheese mixture.

9 - Brush your cleaned and cool cake pan with oil. Line base and side with plastic wrap, allowing side to overhang. Place cake base, cut-side up, in pan. Spread with filling. Top with cake top. Fold over plastic wrap. Place in the fridge overnight to chill.

10 - To make the frosting, use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until well combined. Turn cake onto a serving plate. Spread with frosting. Decorate with chocolate curls, or shaved chocolate as I did.

11 - Enjoy

Been baking a lot lately for various people, so will lots coming over the next weeks. Remember, if you have a request, let me know and I'll have a go!

Wayne
xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment