Monday 14 October 2013

Lemon Poppyseed Biscuits


LEMON & POPPYSEED BISCUITS

Poppyseeds are such a cool ingredient. I've always loved when it's paired with orange or lemon in muffins. I was directing a student show at the beginning of the year and wanted to make some delicious treats for closing night. I had some lemons and looked for some recipes to go with it. When I found lemon poppyseed biscuits, I knew I had to make them. They were delicious and went straight into my recipe pile. Last week I was rehearsing my new play, "Six & Out" and wanted to make some biscuits for the cast. Again I had some lemons left over and made these. The cast loved them, and so did my workmates when I took the leftovers to work. In fact, they went so fast not everyone got one.

Lemon is pretty subjective. I put in extra lemon juice and thought it could have done with some more. However the girls at work thought it had the right amount. So if you like things a little more sour, don't be afraid to add a bit more lemon. These are quite light and very nice to eat. I've been so busy lately I've only been baking simply. I'll have to pull out some bigger recipes soon. Give us all a challenge for some baking!


INGREDIENTS:

150g Unsalted Butter, softened
1 cup Caster Sugar
1 Egg
2 cups Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 tablespoon Poppyseeds
1 tablespoon Lemon Rind, grated
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice

DIRECTIONS:

1 - Preheat oven to 180°c and line trays with baking paper.

2 - Using  mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy.

3 - Add egg and beat to combine.

4 - Sift flour and baking powder over butter mixture and add poppyseeds, lemon rind and juice. Stir to combine.

5 - Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place balls, 5cm apart, on trays.

6 - Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

7 - Serve and enjoy!

Catch you again soon with some more sweet treats!

Wayne
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment